The origins of Cheddite can be traced back to the end of the 1800s, when in Chedde, a small village on the Swiss-French border in the Upper Savoy, two friends created a mining explosive, which was revolutionary for the time. They called it “Cheddite”.
Since then CHEDDITE has become synonymous with explosives, so much so that today the Italian dictionary gives its meaning as ‘explosive’.
At the same time the wonderful Cheddite logo, the famous dragon clawing the world, was created.
1901 The Founding of Cheddite Italia
Cheddite Italia, then called Società Franco Italiana Esplosivo Cheddite, was established at the start of the twentieth century, in 1901 to be precise. It was founded on a site in Livorno which extended, and still extends, over 50 hectares of Tuscan countryside. There are plains and small hills covered by Mediterranean scrub with abundant fauna typical of the Maremma region, such as wild pigs and deer.